Saturday, January 19, 2008

How I joined Chinmaya Mission as a Life Member



Swami Tejomayanandaji, the head of the Chinmaya Mission has answered many of the queries raised by devotees from time to time. These answers have been published in a book titled "You Ask He Answers."
This book is also being serialized in The Chinmya Dhindima, the monthly bulletin of the Chinmaya Mission, Chennai.
Swamiji takes some of the most controversial and confounding questions on our Sanathan Dharma and gives replies that are not only convincing but logical too. The answers do not address blind faith, but rather the refined intellect. This, indeed, is the Chinmaya Way!
My tryst with the Chinmya Movement began in 1991. I was once asked how I became attached to the Mission. To be specific, the question asked by a Study Group Member was, "Who brought you into the Chinmya Mission?" I had to pause and think because no one really solicted me or convinced me to attend.
In 1991 I had commenced learning Sanskrit with a view to appreciating our ancient heritage more fully. When I saw the huge banners announcing Swami Chinmyananda's lectures, I thought, " Why not go? At best, I can practice my Sanskrit!" With this Ahankara Bhava I entered the Kamaraj Memorial Hall to listen to Swamiji on the Bhagawad Gita for the first ever time. There were lakhs and lakhs of people. Many of them standing in the area outside the main auditorium and viewing swamiji's lecture on giant screens placed for this purpose. The Lecture was on chapter XV, and as Swamiji explained the underlying foolishness of an ego centric existence and the deadly tricks that the mind plays on us, I realised that I knew nothing.
I could now understand what Barthrihari meant in the stanza in Neethi Sathakam:
Knowing a little, I assumed that I knew everything and that there was nothing more to learn. Then, as I obtained the association of great souls and learnt from them my foolishness slipped away from me as a fever does on being treated by physicians. Then I realised the depth of my ignorance!"
I dissolved in that Ocean of Clrity that is Swami Chinmayananda! I did not Change, but could now see things differentlly if not better. I joined the Mission as a Life Member and started the process of self refinement that continues to this day.
Therefore the only answer I can give to the question, "Who brought me to the Chinmya Mission?, is that it was Swami Chinmayanandaji himself. I say this with humility and a sense of joy that surpasseth all understanding.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar