Sunday, October 17, 2010

Abhanga Amrut


Being a Jnanamargi, I have always been a bit sceptic about Bhajans and Kirthans. So I have neber truly understood the significance of the Vittal shrine in Pandharipur. All this changed as I entered the holy shrine of Panduranga Vitthala in Pandharipur on 28th September. After our Dharshan at Shirdi, we decided to visit Pandharipur. The journey takes nearly six to seven hours due south-east. We skirt Sholapur the railhead for Pandharipur. The best place to stay is at the Shri Gajanan Maharaj Dhrmashala. This well maintained and picturesque rest house is maintained by Shri Gajanan Maharaj of Shegaon. A realized soul whose samadhi mandir is in Shegaon near Bhusawal in Maharashtra. I have been there with my Uncle when I spent the holidays with him at Akola.

The Gajanan Baba Rest House is pretty comfortable and they managed to find acomodation for all of us. After a quick bath to refresh ourselves, we made our way to the temple of Shri Vitthala. Fortunately there was absolutely no crowd. We simply walked straight to the sanctum sanctorum where We beheld the glorious form of the deity. Instead of attempting a description, I quote Dr. Gopal Benare's translation of Santh Tukaram's Abhang:

Beautiful is the image standing on a brick with his hands upon his hips.
On his neck is Tulsimala
On his loins a yellow silk garment
This image is my everlasting delight.
The Fish-shaped pendants sparkle in his ears
The jewel Kausthubh shines at his neck.
Tuka says:- Here is all my pleasure
I will contemplate his face with love.

I felt a similar tug in my breast as I kept gazing at the small idol of the Lordd Vitthal of Pandharipur. The image is not an intricate piece of art like the southern temple idols. Nor is it huge and impressive. Compared with many other images it looks round and primitive. But I felt that I could simply strand there immersed in this visuion of joy. I felt a lightening of my burdens; a sense of release; as if a bird had been let out of the cage.

Reluctantly, I dragged myself away from this tantalizing vision.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar