Monday, October 6, 2008

Positive Attitude for Better Productivity


06.10.2008

My good friend and Mentor M Keshav, founder of MANTRA, is a regular training services provider for Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited. He usually invites me to conduct portions of his workshops for BPCL executives at their Anna Nagar office complex. These are usually sessions on Financial Well Being. So it came as a pleasant surprise to me when he wanted me to conduct a session for an hour and a half at a workshop on “Positive Attitude for Better Productivity.”

When I entered the Training hall at the time appointed for my session to commence I found that the facilitator of the preceding session was going on at full swing! The speaker Mr. V Ranganathan, a HR trainer and voice-over artist had a conversational yet powerful style. One thing that stuck in my mind from his delivery was the point he made about procrastination. He said, “We do things at our own pace, but expect results to come rushing towards us!

After this session, Keshav introduced me with his usual flair. Keshav made the point that he chose his co-trainers not only based on their talent as speakers, trainers and facilitators but also on their proven track record in practicing what they preach! Such words not only make us feel happy but also strengthen our resolve to continue walking our talk! In fact, I do not discuss the seven habits ever in my workshops! I just share all my experiences, hurdles and learnings while implementing the seven habits in my own life!

During this session, I could introduce the following concepts to the participants:


There are no problems in the lives of Positive Thinkers, only opportunities.
Positivity is not something outside which needs to be brought inside! It is the energy within us that needs to be channelized and used. The deep scripting that we have undergone in early childhood has coated this positivity with a cynical attitude that makes us question every new idea and reject it. Positive thinking ensures that this coating is removed. Nothing changes except the way we look at things!

I also suggested that we should look at a crisis as an opportunity for learning. A Manager is paid to take decisions not merely to list out problems continuously. When faced with a problem apply WWW?/WWW? technique.

The first “WWW?” is “What Went Wrong?”(Not World Wide Wrestling!) We don’t waste time blaming people. We simply search for the root cause for the problem and identify it. Having done that, we evolve Solution strategies that are workable. This is the next “WWW?” which is “What Will Work?”.

After that we proceed for implementation. Subsequently we review the implementation for necessary course correction. This is effectiveness in a nutshell!



Practical tips for Anger Management
Anger is one of the greatest of negative forces, arguably next only to jealousy. I shared my own experience in practical Anger Management. This is what I suggest you do when you feel that you are about to lose your cool:

Step 1
Sit down! When you lose your temper you stand up! So reverse the process. You cannot remain angry while sitting down. Research has consistently shown that different nerve groups are involved when we do something while standing up.

Step 2
Drink water! Remember, when your automobile’s engine is heats up you pour water to cool it. The same logic works here too. Water is the best coolant. It cools you down. A cool body leads to a cool mind that is ready to think rather than shout!

Step 3
Take a deep breath! This gives much needed oxygen to your brain. The brain is now clear and ready to function a little more dispassionately.

Actually these three steps are not sequential. You can perform them in any order, though I find that the order I’ve given is most convenient. It is easy to sit down. Then you can even ask for water. This would alert the other person that you are trying to avoid the conflict. Both of you get the interval needed to stop confrontation and explore a route towards collaboration!


During my session, I tried to infuse some pragmatism into my delivery. I concentrated on the practical approaches to invoking and converting the positive energy inherently present in all of us to perform more effectively on the job.


No comments:


Murudeeshwar