Sunday, May 16, 2010

Akshaya Thrithiya

Today is Akshaya Thrithiya day . It is believed that anything, especially Gold, acquired or obtained today will multiply and grow. Kshaya means decay or reduction. Akshaya means no reduction or unending.

Thrithiya is the third day after the new moon or the full moon. This is a day signifying abundance and growth. But, can acquiring and purchasing things truly bring abundance in ourt life. While I respect and accept the traditional belief system, I also feel a spirit of abundance and trust has its foundation within us. As we nurture this abundance principal and prayerfully work on our plans our efforts are blessed with this abundance of material wealth that we may share it with others and use for the benefit of all.

This belief has been effectively used by Gold merchants to create an artificial demand on this day for the shining metal. The entire Gold market area on Usman Road is flooded with people eagre to capitalize on the benefits of this auspicious day. There are special traffic policemen everywhere monitoring the flow and controlling or preventing stampedes.

Personally I decided to spend some time today donating blood for a young child at the Apollo Cancer Hospital on Teynampet. By the grace of the Almighty, donating blood is one thing I've been able to do for quite some time now. It is an extremely powerful feeling of warmth and happiness to donate blood to total strangers.

As the blood slowly drips through the needle, I usually chant silently the Gayathri Mantra or the Maha Mrtyunjaya Mantra (both are powerful life enabling incantations. As I do this, I sincerely pray for the quick recovery, long life and health of the donee patient whoever they might be.

If someone were to ask me to give a list of worthwhile things I have done in my life, regularly donating blood voluntarily would top my list. This body which is ultimately going to die and decay is in this way useful for someone ion need.

As I donated blood on this day of abundance and growth, I pray to the Almighty that I should be able to give abundantly of whatever I may have....


No comments:


Murudeeshwar