Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Five Elements

09.06.2010

Rituals are acts that are performed repeatedly. They derive their meanings from their association with past events. When we are aware of why we we do something, what we are doing becomes enhanced and leads to the mental attitudes of humility, reverence and prayerful expectation which are the foundations of success in any activity.

I attended the Ganapathi Homam at Mahalinga Puram Ayyappan Temple. The Ganapathi Homam is performed at this temple between 4:30 AM and 5:30 AM. This is the Brahma Muhurtham. The Tantric Ritual is performed by the Tantri with the appropriate gesture or Mudra.

The sacrificial fire grew high and the tongues of flame came out of the mouth of Agni (God of Fire) to accept the sacrificial offerings.

When I left the temple, there was no sign of rain. But on my way back, there was heavy wind movement. The wind blew with a circular movement. The trees and other tall structures not firmly attaached to the ground were swaying as Vayu (The God of Wind) blew hither and thither.

Thereafter it rained heavily for about two hours. The blessed Varuna (God of Rain) made the earth wet, preparing it for growth and prosperity.

Later I visited the Rathna Girishwarar temple at Besant Nagar. As I prostrated myself before the Linga Rup of Shiv, my foreheat touched the Earth (Bhoomi) reminding me of the ultimate destination of the body.

Finally, as I stood before the Shrine of the Devi with her benign smiling face, bedecked with golden ornaments and adorned in all her splendor I glimpsed, for a nano second, the infinite Aakash within me and for that minuscule moment in time became at one and aligned with the Life Principle from which we emerge, with which we fail to converge and into which we shall ultimately merge. .




No comments:


Murudeeshwar