Sunday, May 13, 2007

Old School Friends Get Together

(The Lady who made it possible )




26.04.2007

I studied in Sir M Venkata Subba Rao Boys' School in T Nagar. About seven or eight of us who studied together in Plus two continue to live in Chennai and keep bumping into each other on and off. Thanks to the efforts of the wife of one of us we were able to get together!
(Aswath,Kumar,MS Rao,K P Sudhakar, R V Ashok, Mayur and Me)
Kala w/o R V Ashok threw a party in their house on his birthday! Although I am to leave for Darjeeling tomorrow I made it. All the old friends were there bar two. RV, of course the host and his charming wife and delightful daughter. Sudhakar, M S Rao, Mayur, Kumar Raju and surprise Ashwath who is a leading dentist. Manoj was out of town.

We shared fond memories of school and collectively misspent youth. The trip to Thiruttani to attend RV's upanayanam. (incidentally all these guys made it to my son Srivatsan's Upanayanam.
One incident is still fresh in my memory. I think it was my sixteenth birthday. My mother, despairing of choosing clothes for me had given me money to buy them on my own. I dutifully consulted the gang at school and all of them came with me to the shop recommended by Manoj and M S Rao on South Usman Road. Manoj was our benchmark on fashion and clothes! M S Rao would give sane and sensible advice on what will work. I was not very thin (!) then.
I finally chose a collarless tea shirt in black velvet type material. (I am sure I woludn't be found dead in a ditch in it today! But that is teenage, huh?)
There was another T shirt in Blue which I liked. But budget constraints prevented me from buying both. The next day (my Birthday) morning all the guys came to my house and after wishing me they gave me a brown parcel. On opening it I found the Blue T shirt that I liked. I can still remember their eager faces as they watched me open the parcel.
THAT'S WHAT FRIENDSHIP IS ALL ABOUT!

(Token of affection)

We have decidedto meet more often. The next host would be me. The date would be sometime in late June.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar