Saturday, February 20, 2010

Private Victory before Public Victory

I saw the following quotation in the Training Hall of Shasun Chemicals:

Nothing so conclusively proves a man's ability to lead others as what he does from day to day to lead himself.
Thomas J Watson, Chairman IBM

I felt that this quotation was the essence of my workshop content. If you cannot lead yourself how can we lead others. Before we start placing rules and regulations on others, we ought to examine our conscience whether we are taking the medicine we prescribe.

This sentiment expressed by Mr. Watson, echoes Swami Vivekananda's famous quote, :Learn first how to obey, before you learn how to command." This quotation was prominently displayed in the entrance corridor of thee Vivekananda College when I entered the portals of that excellent institution for my Under-Graduation. The words stuck to my mind and inspire me to introspection till this day.

The Maturity Continuum which is the back bone of the Practice of the Seven Habits enjoins the attainment of Private Victories by practicing the first three habits leading to Independence from the shackles of our own limitations before scaling the heights of the Fourth to the Sixth Habits.

Another striking feature of this quotation is the stress on a doing things day-to-day. The summum of my work shop on Time Management is a Daily Plan and Daily Review linked to Second-Quadrant oriented Long term plans.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar