Sunday, December 26, 2010

Karl Kubel Institute, Anaikatti, Coimbatore


21.12.2010

I am here with my good friend and trainer Roopkumar to conduct a two-day Outbound Training Programme for the senior executives of Texmo Industries.

I have heard a lot about Karl Kubel from Coimbatore Trainers and corporate executives. But I could never visit. Nestled at the foot of the Anaikatti range of hills, the Institute is picturesque with green lawns and spreading conifers. It is run by an NGO founded by Karl Kubel a German philanthrophist. It has locational advantages for conducting Outbound training. More than 100 people can be accommodated in the various training blocks scatteres over the sprawling grounds. Each block has its own rooms for lodging and Training halls. The Dining area is common and centrally located. The food was healthy and hot and had a Kerala flavor. In winter when the air is vchilly, it is almost like a hill resort.

Behind the Institute from south to north the western ghats rear up majestically. The road passing by the Institute goes further up to Anaikatti and thereafter to Mukkali, Mannarkad, and Silent Valley in Kerala.

There is absolutely no external disturbance due to the remote location. The fact that the cell phone connection is fragile means we don’t have to bother about participants going out for taking calls.

My ears, so used to the continuous buzz and background muzak of city life were pleasantly relieved by the total silence prevailing in the institute. This absolute “Nisabdha” or “absence of noise” served to accentuate sounds and make them louder than usual. The chirping of birds in the morning and the sound of a twig cracking as someone steps on it were clearly audible.

There is a very tenuous moble connection outside the main gate of the Institute. I went thither after the morning tea break to call up my office. I squatted on a conveniently placed concrete seat (possibly made for this purpose?) and spoke to Chennai. As I sat there after the call, I could see spread out before me the magnificent view of the range of mountains, shrouded in greenery with a bald peak here and there rearing up above the emerald slopes. In the near distance the yellow and white moths flew from flower to flower and fluttered through the low-hanging branches of the trees lining the opposite side of the curving ghat road. I simply sat there “enjoying-the-moment.” Even the regret that I did not have my camera handy was silenced in the realization that enjoying-the-moment now was more important than attempting to capture 2D images.


Murudeeshwar