Sunday, December 26, 2010

Shah Commision Report- Lost, and Regained

Whenever I speak about the Shah Commission report I am faced with a stone wall of apathy. Nobody is aware or interested. Whenever we speak of the emergency, people immediately say, ‘Ha..yes…It was Indra Gandhi wasn’t it?’ and then go on to state, if they are above fifty that all said and done trains were on time during emergency. How cheaply we are willing to sell our birthright.

Is it not better to be freeman in prison than a man without conviction or freedom to express it in a country where trains are on time but there is only one political opinion allowed.

Mr. Era Chezhian ex-MP has taken out and dusted his copy of the Shah Commission report and has published it. The report sets out in matter-of-fact terms the atrocities committed during the Emergency.

The book (a hard bound demi size tome released at a special discounted price of Rs. 700/-) was released by Shri L K Advani at Chennai on 19th December. I had gone to the P S Senior Secondary School where this happened to attend the Tamilnadu Investor Association Meeting. Finding this event going on, I decided to enter and listen. I felt that a copy of the book would be a good addition to my library so I acquired it.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar