Tuesday, November 22, 2011

In search of the Striped Cat


I am at Bhandara to conduct a programme on Financial Awareness for the engineers od Ashok Leyland at the Bhandara unit. I decided to use Saturday to visit a few places of interest near Bhandara. Bhandara is very near the Tiger territory. Large reserves like Kaanha and Bhandavgarh are not very far. But the nearest and most feasible visit was to Nagjeera about 70 kms east north east of Bhandara.

The wildlife park is accessed by a well maintained road. Private vehicles are allowed inside provided they are accompanied by a guide. I took a guide as wellas the jeep with open roof and raised seating in anticipation of a face to face meeting with striped cat! But I had no such luck. There were reports of a sighting at waterhole at 8:00 AM that morning of a mother and two cubs. There are about twelve of these beasts at Nagjeera together with a whole lot of fauna like owls, eagles, deer—both Chital and Sambhar, bear, leopard, gaur and of course the ubiquitous langur. A wildlife spotter must have keen eyes and patience. This is because most animals have hides and featrhers that are camouflaged and meant to fade into the background of russet brown and faded green.

I did get a nice shot of an owl inside a hole in a tree. The owl was sleeping with its head sticking out of the hole high on top of a tree.

I also saw herds of Chital. I had a magical moment when a herd of Chital crossed the road and went grazing on the otherside. I stood up for a better shot and the herd started running away. One of them, a doe stood, turned her head srraight at me and posed for a perfect shot. Since I used my Sony DSLR and not the Canon EOS 450D, the shot is a bit grainy. But still it is a real wild life shot and arguably my very first.

As I wended my way back to Nagpur airport without having glimpsed even the tail of a live wild tiger, I made up my mind that one day somewhere or the other I will shoot a real, live, tiger I the wild from at least twenty feet.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar