Thursday, July 15, 2010

Human resource (HR) Skills



14.07.2010

I delivered a special guest lecture today at the Madras School of Social Work on HR Skills. The audience was a group of more than forty young students starting a two-year post graduate program on Human Resources Management.

The enthusiastic and energetic youngsters were quite articulate and interactive. I stressed the difference between Skill and Knowledge. I took them through an activity on communication gap. Two of the groups got the message exactly right. The group as a whole learnt the need for clarity and articulation. Another key learning was active listening.

Participants who caught my attention were Sindhuri, Monica, Sandhya Srinivasan, Peri, Karthik and a few others who asked many questions and also shared their views clearly. But Karthik, who seems to have many leadership attributes surprised me with his comment that he never reads books! Similarly, while I appreciated his confidence when he claimed that he is a great orator already I could not help but wonder whether this confidence may block his ability to learn and grow.

I gave them three “L” Words….Listen…..Learn…..Love.

After talking about Active Listening I suggested two instances where they might use it…Recruitment Interviews and Exit Interviews. Thereafter the session became an interactive discussion on Exit Interviews, Confidentiality, Purpose and retention through properly conducted Exit Interviews.

On the whole an Enjoyable and, I hope a mutually enriching afternoon.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar