Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ruminations on Rushikonda Beach


SUNDAY

25.07.2010

For want of anything better to do in the evening, I decided to take a stroll up to Rushikonda Beach. The GITAM campus is bang opposite the Beach which is, arguably, the best beach in and around Vaizag. The sea has created a small semi-circular indentation into the shoreline forming a sheltered beach well away from the deeper and more dangerous waters. Here, at Rushikonda, the waves splash gently on the shore of the large cove where families romp amidst the benign sea. Sitting on that beach and looking out at the Bay of Bengal, I missed my family. But, thanks to mobile telephony, I could call tham the next instant and share my thoughts. I suppose the feeling of nearness must be even more intense with 3G Mobiles.

The peculiar geology of this rocky coastline has left a small spit of land uneroded which extends like a pier into the sea. As this formation runs due southwest to northeast, it gives a strange feel of walking between two beaches with waves on either side.

I love the sea with its soothing wave-rhythm and its willingness to absorb all my petty worries and fears in its immense all-encompassing maternal bosom.

As I walked back to the campus my mind slipped into peculiar reveries steeped in nostalgia and regret for things which could not be or should not be. As my mind kept wandering around thus, the ganta natha (sound of a Bell) from a nearby Shiva Temple rang loud and clear breaking into my somber thoughts and silencing them once and for all. I went into this private shiva temple set in the middle of a verdant grove.

I sought my solace at the feet of the Father who destroys all sense of self and the Mother who is Grace personified.

Matha cha Parvathi Devi, Pitha devo Maheshwaraha;

Bhandhava Shiva Bhaktha cha, Swadesho Bhuvathryam!

Parvathi is my Mother, My Father the Lord of Lords—Shiva;

My relatives are His Devotees, My realm the Three worlds!

Why worry when I have such great parents to protect and counsel me and promote my welfare!

No comments:


Murudeeshwar