Wednesday, July 7, 2010

TEXMO Program on High Performance Supervisory Skills

30.06.2010

I am in Coimbatrore. It’s quite hot here. But there is a nice chilly wind blowing down from the mountains all around..

I am here to train the supervisors and managers at TEXMO Industry

I ran one of my usual activities which involves participants forming groups and making an article that is both functional and aesthetic. Once the participants were informed that there would be a penalty for drawing extra shhets of card board or color paper, they did these things:

· Planned and decided with clarity what they were going to do and decided how much cardboard they would need.

· Drew resources very carefully.

The MD of Texmo Mrs. Ramachandran took time off from her busy schedule to sit in on most of the sessions lending her views and perspectives on issues and coverage. The participants expressed great enthusiasm during the program. But , the comment that truly made me feel satisfied was the one made by Mr. S Duraiswamy, the Works Manager: He quoted the following Kural in praise of my delivery:

Behold the speech that seeks (to express) elements as bind friends and is so delivered as to make even the indifferent to listen with desire to know more. (Kural 643 Ch.65:V.3)

I have transliterated the Kural here keeping in mind the broad meaning. Surprisingly both Drew and Lazarus and V.V.S. Aiyar (my favorite) use the word “enemies” where I have used the indifferent. In my humble view, enemies would listen with interest to counter us. Those who are bored or indifferent are the real challenge for a good speaker. To make them want to hear us is the real arguably an achievement worth the effort.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar