Sunday, April 8, 2007

Common concerns raised by MBA students

I was invited to National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy, for delivering a talk on the relevance of the 7 Habits to Management. The campus is great and the organisers worked really hard to make the event a success.

I heard Kiruba Shanker on Blogging at this event and that is the reason why I've started this Blog!

I gave my usual evangelistic high powered talk on the 7 Habits and how it can change your life. I also played a clipping from Vasool Raja, MBBS a popular Tamil movie featuring Kamal Hassan! I used the scene where the hero motivates a sweeper in the hospital by empowering him. I relate this to my Purpose Empowerment Praise (PEP) model for leadership and development. I think they loved it.

After the almost full day seminar, the questions and concerns the MBA students raised were something like this:

  • I am committed on change, but my team doesn't want to change or learn.

This is the most dangerous Paradigm. This is a 5th Habit issue. Seek First to Understand then to be Understood. In fact great managers bring with them unbounded enthusiasm for what they do. Believe me enthusiasm is contagious. But,Before we start preaching change, we should listen and truly attempt to understand the other person's personal paradigm, vision for himself and his aspirations. Once this attempt is made the usual response is sharing and then crafting a new team mission that is commonly owned.

I call this Sharing the Same Picture! You learned this in Organisational Behaviour as Goal Clarity and Goal Allignment! But, don't believe in it, right!

The easier Paradigm is to heave a sigh and say, " These guys are no good. They are the reason why a great leader like me is not able to deliver on my promises."

Remember, Great Leaders are not the guys who wave their swords and start giving inspirational speeches. Great leaders facilitate and support. Yes sometimes when there is a need for a PEP talk they stand up and speak out and inspire through speeches. But most of the time a smart leader tailors his message for every team member. This is a poewerful approach. Adopt this and you will be a powerful influence on everyone you work with.

  • I am doing everything! Since my team knows I will do it anyway, they do not bother. I am becoming a victim!
  • There is a heavy political play in my company, so I need to do manipulative things or become a loser.
  • I think 7 Habits is boring and doesn't excite me thwe way Shiv Kera's You can win does.

I gave them some suggestions, but no solutions. Should work on these issues.

No comments:


Murudeeshwar